Humanity

"After all there is but one race...humanity".

George Moore

Friday, April 24, 2015

Pecha Kucha

I have finished the PowerPoint slides. I did one for a lesson plan I am doing on relationships in ecosystems. There are 20 slides because I am using the Pecha Kucha method. The Pecha Kucha method is using PowerPoint or Google Slides but having only 20 slides, each lasting only 20 seconds.
Unfortunately, in order to link this presentation to my blog, I had to move it into google slides and the sound, fonts and image enhancements I used in PowerPoint were lost. Here is a link to my presentation:

Relationships in Ecosystems Presentation

The first thing I did was to write the rough draft of my script. Then I created the 20 slides. It took quite a bit of time to find the appropriate images and to decide what words to have show on the slide. It is important to have the slides look visually appealing, but also to use few words. The narration should take care of sending the message you want your students to hear.

I did learn more about PowerPoint and I experimented with the edges on images and different fonts. I think next time I will work on changing the transitions between slides to fade into each other.

After the slides were completed, I re-wrote the script to keep it under 20 sections. I also practiced to get it to flow and to follow the animations. Then I recorded it. Turned out to be not as difficult as I thought as long as you plan and practice! Here is a link to my script:

Script for Relationships in Ecosystems

I put the presentation on screencast.com so you would be able to see it on my blog. But I had to download snagit first so I could get the full 7 minutes in. This tool is very useful for online learning presentations. It would be ideal for an assignment on google classrooms. I had difficulty with screencast.com so I posted this on YouTube. It took me all day to figure it out!!! Here is the presentation. Enjoy!


I would have to say that the Pecha Kucha model for presentations has transformed the way we can present information to students. Can it redefine how we use presentation tools? I was thinking that I could put this PowerPoint presentation online for my students. It would help those students who are visual learners and ELL students.

I would then assign them a species to do research on and they would have to report the relationships that particular species has in its ecosystem. They can use the Pecha Kucha form to present it, or they can try a graphic novel or comic strip. This is a new way to get information across to students using an old method. The old method is the way advertisers grab their audience with short sound bites that only last 30 seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment